I would agree with Rici here, don't expect a problem until you see one.

In _any_ case -if I were you- I would require at least a double margin (of the known requirements) until actually starting to use Lua. Meaning, if it runs for you in 1MB of RAM, ship 2MB.

For stricter control, I think both the memory management + garbage collection engines (of Lua) can be overridden with your own. Might be worth it, if nothing more to see what's going on?

-ak