> Further experimentation suggests that next is having trouble
> even when the table isn't weak. Is it possible that Lua 5.1
> does not like code that assigns nil to table entries while
> iterating over the table and doing complex work? That work
> shouldn't include any other changes to the table but it might
> include work that drives the GC forward.

I haven't looked closely at the Lua 5.1 code, but I did run into a very
similar thing when doing the reference counting for LuaRC and LuaPlus.  The
following post describes the issue in detail:

http://luaplus.org/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?comments_parentId=3&topics_thr
eshold=0&topics_offset=25&topics_sort_mode=commentDate_desc&topics_find=&for
umId=1

If it isn't the same issue, I apologize for wasting everybody's time.

Josh