On a similar vein. In Win32 we build Lua binary code into resource file format
data (using a Lua script). The resources are then added to a DLL (possiibly only
containing resources). The loading is done with a single function
(named rcload())
this is a rough equivalent to loadfile() except for loading Lua code from DLLs
instead of the file system. We have found that there is little advantage of
compressing the script in the DLL (although we sometimes do it). Loading
scripts from DLL resources is dynamite quick. It offers enormous advantages
in packaging, the package IS the DLL. It has advantages for deployment
simplicity,
it has more user and admin. resilience. There must be a rough equivalent to this
approach on Unix?

PS if anyone wants the binary to resource code and assocaited loader, let
me know and I can put it on the web.

--
DB