Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
This gives rather better peak memory usage than either
5.0.2 or 5.1wX and does not appear to negatively affect
speed even in the churningest parts of my app (so far).

Can you give the "numbers" (peakmem and FPS compatible with previous
message) for this setting?

Sure, will recompile and post soon.  (I still use 5.0.2 by
default.)

I don't know what function the 2*g->estimate was supposed to serve,

That was a quite ad hoc attempt to emulate the behaviour of 5.0. It
should delay the start of a new GC cycle until the program doubles the
amount of memory it was using after the previous cycle. We were afraid
that, without it, Lua could perform GC cycles too frequently.

Ah, I see.  Well, I can't say whether 1* causes GCs _too_
frequently but it doesn't seem to be causing me problems.  I
can see the appeal of geometric growth of these limits in
theory though, so maybe a more conservative 9/8 growth would
be adequate?

Will post results soon.

--Adam
--