From: Mark Hamburg [mailto:mhamburg@adobe.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 1:53 PM
To: Lua list
Subject: Re: Redefining locals

With globals, there is only one global variable in

    a = 1
    a = 1

With locals, there are two variables though one might not have wanted there
to be.

The mistake to be caught isn't

    local f = 1
    < N lines of code >
    local function f() end

It's:

    local function f() end

Ooh. This needs to be mutually recursive with some function g, so I need to
forward declare f before g:

    local f
    local function g() f() end
    local function f() g() end

(Ignore the infinite recursion in the example code.)

But this last piece of code doesn't do the right thing. It needs to be:

    local f
    local function g() f() end
    f = function() g() end

It will also work as:

    local f
    local function g() f() end
    function f() g() end

This last one seems particularly misleading.

Mark