Thanks guys,

I think I will go with those, just because it's too much work to redo it all myself. The only drawback is that lua in my app doesn't run as a console (meaning you can't just type "print(4)" then hit enter have have lua output the result.

In my app, you have to click the execute button. No biggie but enough that it could confuse users.

that plus I intentionally disallow certain lua operations (dofile, the entire os lib, etc) and so I'd like to not even have the users be aware of them...

But beggars can't be choosers!  Thx for the tips.

ando