On Wednesday 29 September 2004 23:39, Peter Loveday wrote:
> Or perhaps take it to another level, have a table for each scanline, and a
> table for each pixel.  Then if you need to add in extra channels (Z? ObjID?
> etc) it won't mess up the format entirely.  So something like:
>
> my_image =
> {
>     { {r,g,b,a}, {r,g,b,a}, ... }, -- scanline 1
>     { {r,g,b,a}, {r,g,b,a}, ... }, -- scanline 2
> }
>
> This would allow for up to 256k x 256k textures, with up to 256k channels.

Yes I suppose this and other similar solutions would be possible but I'd
prefer not to make things more complex than they need to be unless there's
absolutely nothing than can be done with Lua, which in theory shouldn't be
the case since it is a VM running in software. Thanks, though, I'll keep it
in mind. It's a viable alternative and not nearly as bad as using a string
for the image data.

Dimitris