On Wednesday 29 September 2004 22:14, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
> Can't you format that table as a table with 65536 subtables, each with
> the 4 components of a pixel? (Or to pack the 4 components into a
> single string or number?)

I can, but 1024x1024 textures and larger are quite common and the same goes
for audio files, so even if I group pixels and stereo pairs I'll still run
out of items.
Please don't tell me that we can't change the size of the vm's registers. I
don't mind the larger bytecode but I *need* the extra items, there's no way
around it. (And to make the argument less selfish: this should generally be
useful for applications using Lua as a data description language, as I, in
part, do).

Dimitris

PS: Please also take a look at my unified tables/userdata proposal if you have
the time. I'd like your opinion on this too. I mistakenly posted it as a
reply to  a post by Mark Hamburg entitled "Protected tables proposal".