In most projects people set up mirrors based on geographic location of
the mirror, like br.lua.org or us.lua.org, this isn´t a difficult
thing for a system administrator to set up this kind of configuration,
the main repository could be at br.lua.org and the others being
syncronized with a tool like rsync with ssh access by crontab scripts.

If any help is needed just ask me I´ll help to set up a configuration like this.

Augusto