You would store the collection's objects as keys of a table.
The values relative to each key would be used to store whatever you want.

For example:

local mt = {__mode = "k"}

local t1 = setmetatable({}, mt) -- collection t1
t1[obj1] = true -- insert obj1 into collection t1
t1[obj2] = true -- insert obj2 into collection t1

local t2 = setmetatable({}, mt) -- collection t2
t2[obj2] = true -- insert obj2 into collection t2

So the subtract function would be for example:

function subtract(t1, t2)
	local r = {}

	for k, v in pairs(t1) do
		if not t2[k] then