seems a kind of silly benchmark; the bulk of the code does absolutely
nothing with garbage collected types, which is the major area where
5.1 does better. When I need to do math ops huge arrays, I do it on
the C side anyway. This is why "shootout" style benchmarks aren't
usually very useful: the type of programming they encourage is not the
same as the type of programming that usually goes on in production
code.

Ben