On 22-Sep-04, at 2:06 PM, Bilyk, Alex wrote:

With all it's limitations and peculiarities of [mis]use in some contexts I fail to see how Lua would benefit from this on one hand, while I also fail to see what is wrong with

function_obj("msg", ... )

to begin with. The above form, while marginally longer to type, is clear to anyone and works for any string.

Well, that was my first reaction, too. But when I started to think about it, particularly when playing around with implementing objects as coroutines, I realised that it is nice to be able to do:

  obj:method(arg1, arg2)

without having to know whether obj is a traditional table-based object, or a function-based object. (In other words, the implementation of obj could change without having to change consumers of the object.) Of course, you could write a wrapper for obj to make it work properly, but Mark's idea seems like a nice way of getting around having to do that.

So (I presume) it would be specifically for that case, in which case it is not really that limited or peculiar.

R.