George Warner wrote:

on 9/17/04 11:09 AM, David Given at <dg@cowlark.com> wrote:

On Friday 17 September 2004 17:36, George Warner wrote:
[...]
The bad news is that we compact our cvs system on every GM release to only
contain those releases (all the interim engineering builds are discarded).
In that process my original .lua source file got discarded. Any way to get
the source back? I'm sure the comments get stripped but if I could at least
get something close to the original source back then I could fix some bugs
I found and start merging some new code into the single source.
Wait --- you mean you actually discard all previous revisions out of your CVS
repository? You can't just check out a version of the file from before you
overwrote it?

Nope. All the changes are flattened into one revision so that when we diff
the production builds we only see what actually changed between those two
builds. All the original individual check in/out comment(s) are compressed
into a single note. Nothing is lost except anything that was changed again
before the final production build. The "final" change is the one that
counts. This works extremely well for us because it eliminates a lot of the
"noise". Also, since all check in's have to include a bug # we can always
refer to the bug database to read detailed info about any bug fixes that
actually ship (as opposed to bug fixes that get eliminated by a re-write).
This has proven to seriously raise the "signal to noise" ratio of CVS.
you really need to learn to use CVS Tagging for you releases, instead of such as destructive process.
that is EXACTLY what Tags are for, marking progress.