I think making '_' work like a /dev/null in variable land would be a Great Thing.

-ak

17.9.2004 kello 14:27, David Given kirjoitti:

 On Thursday 16 September 2004 01:28, Fabio Mascarenhas wrote:
[...]
Depends on how you interpret the for loop. If you interpret the loop as:

Actually, I'd rather like the loop variable to be made read-only, so that the compiler will produce an error or at least a warning if you try and modify a loop variable. Given that the current behaviour is undefined it's not a very useful thing to want to do anyway... and I can't count the number of times I've had obscure bugs due to accidentally modifying a loop variable. Mostly
due to this:

for _, i in list do
 ...code...
 _, j = somefunction()
 ...code...
end

On a slightly related note, is there any chance of getting real syntax for
discarding a return value? The convention above of using _ for unwanted
arguments is misleading; it's actually creating a variable called _. It took
a while before I realised this, hence the above code.

Does anyone actually use variables called _ for any real purpose, and if so,
why?

--
+- David Given --McQ-+
+- www.cowlark.com --+