Anyway to play around with Lua I want to build it on Os X. The readme and install files that come with the distribution don't give any specific hints for OS X especially with regards compiler flags shared library options etc in the config file.

I don't know if this helps you -- it depens on what you want to do with Lua -- but I've made a framework build of Lua for use in Xcode applications that you want to extend with Lua scripting. It is available at:

 http://www.frykholm.se/luaframework.html

The Xcode project for building the framework is there too.

// Niklas