I need to give some praise to the Lua authors :) on the courage to go upstream with the selected, unique set of regexp's or patterns, as used in string.find() and string.gsub(). While I don't have much experience with 'real' regexp's, the use of the provided set is compact, easy and powerful. Well done!

The only thing that I've missed (which does exist in real regexp's) is ability to logic-or strings, not just chars. I believe this has been met by others as well, and is one motivation behind the regex addon library.

-ak