> I don't change the setup, [...]

Forget my concerns. Jamie Webb went right to the problem.

> Also, what is the proper procedure for enabling the runtime checks?  I
> manually included luauser_tests.h and added ltests.c to my project.
> That seemed to work, but I'm not sure if that is the recommend method.

You can define LUA_USER_H='"ltests.h"' to include ltests.h. But there is
no "recommend method" as such. Some of those tests are too hard for most
uses (e.g., the define of LUAL_BUFFERSIZE as 27 to force weird buffer
allignment situations). We are changing luaconf to make it easier to
turn on all asserts without using other tests.

-- Roberto