David Given escribió:

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 06:58, Asko Kauppi wrote:
I think the idea was to do it in X11 native.  Since he's making an
installer, the libraries available on the target machine cannot be
trusted upon.

That's the idea. ;-)

In that case he's doomed. If you don't want any library dependencies other the X itself, you get Xlib (basic drawing primitives), Xt (abstract widget toolkit without any actual widgets) and Xaw (very, very primitive and sucky widget toolkit built on Xt), and that's it.

Building a user interface on top of Xaw, a.k.a. Athena, is an excercise in futility. It may give you some idea as to the high regard that they're commonly held in if I tell you that both Gtk and Qt bypass Xaw and Xt completely and just use drawing primitives in an X window. I've developed for Motif, which is another widget set built on top of Xt, and it's not pleasant.

Athena also looks ghastly. Screenshot here:

http://www.efalk.org/Widgets/Xaw.gif

Yes, the layout management really is as bad as it looks.
I'll have all these things in my mind.

I think he's probably just going to have to decide to depend on Gtk or Qt. Most Unix platforms these days have both, so it's not really a big deal, and the increase in functionality is *huge*.

(BTW, remember that you can statically link these libraries into your binary, so you don't have to rely on the target system having them installed.)

Resistance is not futile!.
Despite the joke, I have to admit that your comments slow down my enthusiasm. I'll do some additional research with native X and, after that, I'll decide...

Thanks for helping me to think,
Daniel