> > No, because COPYRIGHT uses the MIT license, which was adopted only in 2003.
>
> Are you sure about this? Just because you changed the license in 2003
> doesn't mean your copyright doesn't extend back further than that.

We're never sure about anything related to licenses, just that moving to the
MIT license was one of the best thing we did. Since we had a different license
staring in 2003, our license texts say so. See http://www.lua.org/license.html .

However, the copyright line in lua.h and elsewhere asserts Tecgraf's copyright
since 1994, which is correct. On the other hand, I had a look in lua.h and the
copyright text at the end says 1994-2004, but it is the MIT license. Oh well,
we'll see. Thanks for bringing this up.
--lhf