Thankyou. :)

It works fine. I also found, while hunting stuff, a Lua 5 compiled
for Windows, which was useful in reporting errors as I fumbled. Lua 5
is a lot different from Lua 4. I missed writeto() and appendto(), but
found some nice new ones:

io.write("zoodle\n")
io.output("X.txt")
io.write("wurdle\n")
--io.output(stdout) still haven't worked this one out yet.. :)
io.write("thingit\n")
io.close()

A bit sad, maybe, but it sounded better than hello world. >:)
Now all I need to figure out is how to return the flow to stdout,
which is a really nice default, btw.
This is now good for file splitters, combiners, patchers, custom made
replacements for TextPad macros, and such, so already a big increase
in power just having this as it is, though that vision I had of a
means to address any part of the 25 by 80 characters of a DOS window,
and a means to prompt for user input, echoed to screen,  while the
program runs, and even a bit of colour use in the output to screen,
would make an awesome means for fast development in Windows. Colour
might sound a tad fancy, but I think it's probably one of the best
ways to convey information in a limited space especially in the
absense of graphics...

(25/08/2004 00:43)