Ashwin,
Thank you for your help. Yes, I accidentally added an error to the included
chunk trying to get this to work late at night. But now we are back to
square 1 and I still have the problem that it does not work. Since last
night, I did this (along with many other dead ends):

1. Recompiled using 5.02 rather than 5.0 and with no change in the problem.

2. In the Include() Cfunction that loads the chunk, I also changed
lua_dofile() to luaL_loadfile() so that I could see the chunk loaded but not
executed. Now, luaL_loadfile returns 0 as it should, so I put an error on
line 388 (at the end) to see that it was loading the chunk because it
reported the error on that line.

So it seems like the class definition cannot be loaded from a separate
chunk. Would this have anything to do with he commands I use to execute the
script? Here is my source:

(the script to run is in a file named sScriptFile)

  m_pLuaState = lua_open();
  if ( m_pLuaState != NULL )
  {
       RegisterLuaPackages();    // lua packages: debug, math, table, etc.
       RegisterLuaFuncs();         // load our CFunctions

       int nError = luaL_loadfile( m_pLuaState, sScriptFile );
       if ( ! nError ) // returns 0 if success loading script from file
       {
           nError = lua_pcall( m_pLuaState, 0, LUA_MULTRET, 0 );     // run
the script

    The script includes a CFunction named Include which uses luaL_loadfile()
to load chunks into the same lua state.

Michael