Yike.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I'm using lua 4.something. I didn't
think the hash/array split happened until lua 5, but then again I
haven't done much with lua internals.

It wouldn't really bug me a whole lot if I have to go poking around in
the source code or making the estimation platform-specific. Sounds
like that's what I'm gonna have to do :)

I would really love it if I could toss double support and use 4-byte
floats, but unfortunately I need to be able to pretend that the floats
are really 32-bit integers. Sigh.

Thanks for the info!