> I think you'll find those snippets were either out-of-context or
> out-of-date.
> -- Jamie Webb

I dunno, I found the second one here:
http://www.washburn.edu/copyright/glossary/

Its a copyright information site for students and faculty of a university.

Besides that, I think anything under the Wiki probably falls under
"works created for public use".

Looking briefly at the copyright laws on the U.S. copyright office
website, code snippets might fall under:
"102 (b) In no case does copyright protection for an original work of
authorship extend to any idea, procedure, process, system, method of
operation, concept, principle, or discovery, regardless of the form in
which it is described, explained, illustrated, or embodied in such
work."

Ryan