On Wednesday 11 August 2004 14:29, Asko Kauppi wrote:
> I don't think Erik's list was out of proportions.  In fact, us using
> Lua I think it's in the backbone to strive for simplicity.  Let's see
> how he does before shooting him down, eh? :)

I wasn't intending to shoot anyone down --- I'm sorry if I came across that
way. It's just that I think that I have a slightly different idea of what
'embedded' means than he does; I think of something along the lines of a
Basic STAMP, rather than something like a Palm Pilot.

(My old IIIe had a 16MHz 68000 processor, and 2MB of RAM. I can't find the
message describing the ARM based system that someone posted, but wasn't that
55MHz?)

Incidentally, an old Palm Pilot would make an excellent platform for this sort
of thing. They're thoroughly well understood; powerful OS kernels that will
run on them are freely available (ucLinux); they've got decent I/O
capabilities and expandability. I'm sure I could come up with a use for a
robust device that ran for a week off batteries, talked TCP/IP over IRDA, had
a graphical display, could control other devices via a standard serial
interface and was trivially scriptable in Lua...

They're also cheap, which helps.

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "For is it not written, wheresoever two or three
+- www.cowlark.com --+