One thing to keep in mind is that the C standard differentiates
between a "hosted" and a "freestanding" implementation.  You can stil
be compliant C and lack things like stdio, etc.  It's effectively just
the language and some predefined symbols at that point.  I'm not sure
if Lua would run in such an environment, but I don't see why it
couldn't.

Given this, the points about os.time() being potentially unsupported
are both completely spot on and irrelevant -- spot on because it might
not be there, and irrelevant because if it's not, there might be other
major issues as well.

Brian