On 27-Jul-04, at 6:32 PM, Asko Kauppi wrote:

It probably does the job, but -honestly- I've never even used 'gfind' before.

string.gfind is really handy.

As an example, the question of iterating over a string which was floating around earlier could probably best be handled with:

for ch in string.gfind(str, ".") do
 -- handle a character
end

. The point is, Lua should be intuitive and straightforward, and "for line in string.lines(str)" was the first thing I'd try just by guessing.

So put this in your startup:

function string.lines(str) return string.gfind(str, "[^\n]+") end

:)

Some time ago I put some other string-slinging examples, several taken from PIL, on the wiki: http://lua-users.org/wiki/StringRecipes