> > - Many libraries need to store additional Lua objects along with
userdata
> >   values and end up abusing the metatable or weak tables. This
complicates
> >   type checking and/or garbage collection.
>
> Absolutely. I don't think unifying tables and userdatas alone provides
> a solution though: that data should be private. If __index and
> __newindex were changed to always be called, that would work since
> they could completely disallow access to a table (or to certain
> members), but that might get expensive.

Good point, but as this is a parallel issue for both userdata and tables
this should be a separate thread.

However, as I stated this a parallel issue between userdata and tables, and
as such is another example of how very similar userdata and tables are,
which is why they should be combined (improvement of orthogonality).