Alex Sandro Queiroz e Silva wrote:

Hallo,

You can say two objects (userdata or tables) are of the same type if they share the same metatable. If want to refer to your types by name, you can create entries in the global namespace using the type name as a key and the metatable as a value. I guess luaL_newmetatable and luaL_getmetatable do just that.

Ok, I see the idea. I was not aware of these luaL functions, this is what I'm going to need. There is even a luaL_checkudata which does exactly what I want, that is checking the type of my userdata.

You can't associate metatables with light userdata, but they are useful in other contexts. The I/O standard library stores FILE* pointers in light user data.

Ok ... I can certainly see some use for them, but I suppose you have to be careful.

Now that Programming in Lua is online (http://www.lua.org/pil/), it's definitely a excellent read for anyone studying Lua.

I will ! Thanks for the answer.

Vincent Penne.