> Lua is used in many different ways and the tough problem is to reach a
> unified solution that is general enough to satisfy various embedding and
> scripting needs, but closed enough to enforce some kind of uniformity.

Another way to read this is that "require" (in its various incarnations
discussed here) is trying to set policy not just provide a mechanism.
This goes against the goals of Lua. But if we want to have reliable Lua
installations, then some kind of policy is needed.

Perhaps "require" and friends would be better housed in a separate library...
--lhf