How can be a nested table created from strings/data pairs like this?

   <Strings> def. the table should be filled with <Data>

   "Colour."                 "black"
   "Colour.Markus."          "blue"
   "Colour.Markus."          "yellow"
   "Colour.Thomas"           "green"   -- note: without the last point
   "Colour.Group.Heinz."     "red"

So the result should be a table:

   print(Colour[1])             --> "black"
   print(Colour.Markus[1])      --> "blue"
   print(Colour.Markus[2])      --> "yellow"
   print(Colour.Thomas)         --> "green"
   print(Colour.Group.Heinz[1]  --> "red"

Any solutions without using dostring()? I think a recursive function
call does the work and I will programm this later this day but possible
someone has an already running solution or any other good ideas.

--
Markus