On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 03:57:45PM -0400, Brian Weed wrote:
> >> As for Michael's comment about all this knowledge being "lost", the
> mailing
> >> lists are mirrored on the web.
>
> A forum, however would solve the major spam farm that this mirroring has
> created, since all our email addresses are right there for the picking.

I'd agree that I'm not entirely sure about the long-term effectiveness
of the obfuscation system used by the archive, and I'd rather just not
have the addresses displayed. But, I do get close to zero spam to this
account, so I don't think any spammer has picked up on it so far.

Otherwise, I'm not sure how a forum could be considered in any way
better than a mailing list. If you really don't like the format of the
official archive, it ought to be a fairly trivial task to write one
that looks like a forum, and to gate posts to the forum back onto the
mailing list.

Personally, I don't like to use the list archives either, so I just
never delete any mail. I can search the last 4000 odd posts using the
facilities provided by my mail client.

-- Jamie Webb