>Incidentally, while we're on the topic, almost as annoying are the broken
>clients which don't generate In-Reply-To headers. D Burgess and LHF are
>probably the most prolific posters wich such clients.

I'm aware of the problem and I apologize for breaking threads. I'm an
old-timer and still use Mail (aka mailx). To make things worse, under Linux I
cannot edit headers (which I can in Solaris, but I've given up this). I don't
use graphics-based email readers because I do most of my work remotely. I know
there are alternatives (pine, mutt, elm, mh), but I'll have to find time and
peace of mind to make a change. Sorry about that.
--lhf