Brian Weed wrote:

The email message format knows if it is a reply or not?  Very interesting.

I assumed that the only indication that it is a reply is when "RE:" is
prepended to the subject line by the client.

My client also does not regard my "New Topic" email as part of the same
thread as the original from which I replied, since it must follow threads by
the subject.

What clients are you guys using?

Brian.

email has always worked that way, the headers have a "in-reply-to" just for the purposes of threading. usenet works that way to and it is just as inconvienient when people either don't "reply to" and just use the same
subject like , or do a "reply to" and change the subject.