>Well, if we are already depending on Linux then you might as well
>use the following:
>
>print(io.open("/proc/sys/kernel/random/uuid"):read())

Ah, I didn't know about this! It does not show up in "locate uuid"...
Linux is surprising. (BTW, I recall someone mentioning at usenet that this
move to add more and more things to /proc is not a good thing. It sure is
convenient, but let's not stray from the subject.)

>The library binding may be useful for other OS though depending on the
>portability of libuuid.

That was my point. But thanks for the tip.
--lhf