> OK, I have another proposal:
> I propose the ultimate flexibility: user defined syntax.

IMHO this is an excellent suggestion (though I personally think it should be
an add-on with a chunk-reader interface rather than part of the core).

The great advantage here is that Lua is typically used "embedded" in an
application, and lot's of Lua integrators are faced with transitioning users
from another (often "home-grown") scripting language.  So being able to
"fudge" the syntax a bit is very useful.