Dear all,

On september 2002, I announced GUIS (for LUA) - an opensource
application (LGPL license) for Linux. GUIS is a GTK2 widget
"server" - communicating with a single application client thru pipes.
Guis is listening (on a pipe) to requests in some scripting language
(eg Ruby, Python, or perhaps Lua) providing a binding to GTK2 and
replying arbitrary textual messages to its client.

An old version of GUIS generated a LUA binding (using a generator
coded in CLISP, and the GTK2 binding descriptive files borrowed from
PythonGTK2). But the binding had bugs (because it did not follow all
of GTK2 semantics) so I gave up this idea. Now GUIS is available for
languages having a full GTK2.4 binding like Python & Ruby. But
plugging into GUIS another scripting language is easy, provided it has
a GTK2 binding.

Someone asked me a few days ago the old tar ball of GUIS for LUA. So I
put it under http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/old_guis_lua.tgz but I
did not test it, and it might even not compile (eg under GTK2.4 with
the latest LUA). Feel free to reuse any parts of it (compliant with
its LGPL license) - I would be glad to hear if it is useful.

I don't believe anymore that generating a real GTK2 binding is
easy. Maybe LUA might have it (perhaps using SWIG?) - I could then
easily add a LUA "port" to the current GUIS. See
http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/guisdoc.html for details

I don't have the incentive to code a GTK2 binding to LUA, and hence I
lost most of my interest in LUA today (even if I agree that LUA is a
well engineered scripting language).

Some independent remarks.

If there happen to be a reasonably complete GTK2 binding for LUA I am
interested (to incorporate it into GUIS). Please tell me if it
happens.

There exist a LUA implementation in Ocaml - see www.cminusminus.org

People interested in coding a JIT translator for LUA might using GNU
lightning. I used it successfully for Ocaml. See
http://cristal.inria.fr/~starynke/ocamljit.html for more.

(I'll soon unsubscribe from the LUA list - I subscribed only to send
this message. If you want to contact me see my signature).

Regards.
email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net