> Couldn't you just as easily use any identifier or number?
>
>  --[4[ ... ]4]
>  --[MMH[ ... ]MMH]

An identifier is ambiguous; e.g., a[b[x]] = 3; (Remember that this
syntax is not only for comments, but for long strings, too.)  More often
than not we will use zero, one, or at most two asterisks.

> And it will be hard to syntax hightlight correctly in SciTE,

I guess any syntax that allows arbitrary data (and therefore has
a non-fixed delimiter) would have similar problems.

> This while still managing nested comments...

Probably the nesting will be deprecated. It will be kept for
compatibility, but good practice will be to use a delimiter that
does not occurr inside the data.

-- Roberto