> Does
>
>   --[[ this (i.e., the current style) ]]
>
> seem ridiculous?  It'll still work with the new style.

 I think it's reasonable... I was reacting to yet another character added to
block comments.  It was to work out that table[table[]] thing I guess, but
it seemed like a band-aid.  The two character block comment start and end is
obviously highly desirable by many and I was just wondering why it has been
impossible to do.

  Tom