Hi, Ben!

We have such a system up and running, and it's not that complex at all, I
can send it to you if you wish. You are right, Pluto doesn't have to know
anything about how C++ objects are serialized, same as C-side must know
nothing about how Pluto does it's job. What I'm asking for is just to
recieve those context parameters passed to Pluto (reader/writer & (void
*ud)) back in persist/unpersist methods. This will not complicate things
much for either you, as Pluto developer, or any other programmer working
with Pluto (they will just ignore extra parameters).

-- modified text from Pluto\readme
Here's an example of special persistence for an object:

vec = CreateMyObject()
setmetatable(vec, { __persist = function(oldtbl, writer, ud)
 local mt = getmetatable(oldtbl)
 local state = DoCSideSaving(oldtbl, writer, ud)

 return function(newtbl, reader, ud)
  setmetatable(newtbl, mt)
  DoCSideLoading(newtbl, reader, ud, state)
 end
end })

Note that original example will work too, since it will just ignore extra
parameters. We really need this, we can live without function or thread
persistance, but without proper uderdata persistance we can't.

Thanks in advance,
Grisha