  Thanks for your reply.  Let me clarify what I'm doing.  The functions
aren't actually being passed to my C function directly, but they are already
within a table.  I'm trying to allow the script to define a class (table
containing methods and variables), register that within my host, and then I
can create as many additional instances of the table as needed.  So I
iterate the table, store away the elements, and in another routine push them
back on the stack when new instances of the class are created.

MyClass = {
  OnSpawn = function() end;
  Health = 100
}

Host.RegisterClass(MyClass)

  Then as entities are spawned within the game engine it will create
instances of the LUA class to handle events.

  There will be cyclical references between objects, where they call methods
in one another.  So I was concerned that the script would first have to
define each class with empty functions, then the implementation would
follow.  However I was making things too complicated - I thought the LUA
compilation phase would complain about non-existent indices to the tables,
however I now see that everything is looked up dynamically real-time.  So
allowing redefinition of the functions after registration is not a
requirement, and can be restricted if necessary.

  Dan East