To: "Lua list" <lua@bazar2.conectiva.com.br>
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 4:24 AM
Subject: Re: Does it make sense to add general file descriptor support to LuaSocket 2.0?

Hi,

I'm very fond of Lua5 and LuaSocket 2.0, but I have one issue that I'd
like to address.

I use Lua to monitor network communication ~and~ data coming in on a
RS-232 port.

It'd be great if I add the file descriptor for the serial port into
the list socket.select uses.

Is this crazy? If not, how much of a hack would this be to LuaSocket?

The hack is already there. The new select implementation only requires you
to provide a getfd method in the object you want to call select on. I know
this is dirty and might crash, but I am not documenting it and expecting
only people that know what they are doing (such as yourself) to use it.

[]s,
Diego.