On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Brennan Leathers wrote:

> >It can be useful, in many cases, to have multiple pseudo-random generator
> >objects which can be used, saved and restored independently. We have made
> >a bind of c++ MersenneTwister pseudo-random generator to Lua for our work.
> >

> Hi,
> I would like to have the wrapper for the MT function. I've been wanting
> to do one myself, but I'm fairly new to lua. Although I am not sure why
> c++ is needed when the MT is a C function and a random number "object"
> can easily be done in pure lua. Still, no big deal :) I just avoid c++
> when I can.

Hi,

C++ is used because we want more than one MT generator at the same time.
Different threads can use their own generator with no interferences. If
this feature is not needed, a much simpler bind can be implemented and
only C is needed (of course, MT objects could be done in C without C++
also).

A (stupid and) tiny example of usage:

mt1 = random(seed1)
mt2 = random() -- seed is optional
print(mt1:rand())
print(mt1:randInt(10))
print(mt1:randInt(50,100))
table = mt2:shuffle(100) -- create a random permutation of indices:
mt3 = mt2 -- the are the same c++ object
mt4 = mt2:clone() -- no longer the same c++ object
state = mt2:save() -- state is a lua table of numbers
mt2:load(state) -- restore

The code (.tgz approx. 10kbytes) can be obtained at:

http://www.dsic.upv.es/~sespana/MT.tgz

I think the garbage collection has some bugs to be fixed (we use reference
counting and lua GC).

I will delete this file maybe in a few weeks...

Best regards,
Salva E.