I've been working on this for some time now; The result is the library "Pluto". See http://lua-users.org/wiki/PlutoLibrary . Even if it isn't suitable for your needs (in which case feel free to request missing features), I've learned quite a bit about the Lua core in the process of development. Email me with any questions you have.

Ben

P.S. The next version of Pluto, with full support for closures, userdata, and metafunction persistence, will be up in a day or two.