> Well I was using Lua4 and there were no "heavy" userdata

Ah, yes. I'd forgotten that about Lua 4.

> BTW: Did you have to go outside the API to get the size of a userdata?
> (well I can pick that out from the code later).

Well, right now Pluto refuses to persist userdata. But yeah, looks like I'll have to. It's far from the only time Pluto looks under the hood, unfortunately; a lot of this stuff just isn't supported by the public API, especially when it comes to threads and closures.