> I'm just getting ready to look at 5.1 (after I clean up some uses
> of .n).  One thing I'm curious about is whether it does anything to
> reduce the need to lock the Lua state when manipulating the stack.

No. We do not think that "real multithreading" in Lua (that is, several
preemptive threads sharing a single Lua state) is really a good idea and
so it is not high in our list of priorities. There are several options,
such as coroutines (i.e., non-preemptive multithreading) or threads with
independent Lua states ("Lua processes"). (One thing we are trying to
improve is the ability to yield inside metamethods and for iterators.)

-- Roberto