I think a "standard" class system for Lua is something very needed. I
know that Lua is too flexible and there can be no "best" or "universal"
class system, but if the language is about to develop further (e.g. into
a full-feautured language for standalone application development, like
Python/Java/C#/Limbo), it can't do without this, as well as without
enough libraries (mostly GUI and an IDE/debugger). It doesn't matter
what exactly will be the syntax or the features of a class system, they
just have to be good enough (and they will be, if the system is produced
by a joint effort). However, it seems the Lua authors can not take up
such a task, so it's up to the community. And since LuaCheia has so few
supporters and makes so slow progress, it seems this won't happen any
time soon.

I feel very attracted to Lua (since I discovered it in 1999), and
especially with the latest version I think it would make a very good RAD
tool. I'm so determined to use it for serious standalone apps, that
whenever I find that I miss a basic tool or library, I start to develop
it. E.g., at the moment I have put together the bases for a test
framework, a descriptor library (sort of a reflection library), a class
system, a GUI library wrapper (since I'm tired of waiting to see which
GUI library will prevail, I decided to add an abstraction layer over all
of them), and an automated building tool (which is the most developed of
all, since I used it now for all of my other projects). I realize that
many people have developed such tools before, and if we joined efforts,
we might bring closer the idea of Lua as a powerful standalone RAD
language.

Regards,
Ivan

Daniel Silverstone wrote:

Hi,

I have been working on a class and object heirarchy (I'll probably either put it on the lua-users.org wiki or write an LTN for it eventually) for my web application platform Aranha.

I'm in the process of redesigning Aranha to split it into several components. One of those (Aranha Azul) will be the core of the system and will contain class and object systems.

http://wiki.digital-scurf.org/Aranha

The above wiki URL is where aranha's documentation is being slowly assembled ready for the re-engineer. The class structure is described in a subpage of that page and there are links to the test implementation.

I would appreciate comments from people and bug reports if possible ;-)

Thanks,

Daniel