Hi Brennan, I have a small handcoded S-Lang console wrapper for Lua.  It's only the basic i/o portions I needed,
but you're welcome to have it.  Email me off-list if you want it, and I can clean it up a bit.  I had considered
using curses, but it's total overkill for my needs, not to mention there being a lot of different versions with
extended incompatible feature sets.  S-Lang is pretty light in comparison.  I'm also going to have an SDL-based
console eventually.

-Lucas