> On Behalf Of Brian Hook
> > QuakeC is C, but compiled into bytecode instead of native assembly.
>
> Not quite.
>
> With Quake, "QuakeC" was an actual language that was different
> syntactically than C.  It compiled into a byte coded VM.
>
> Quake 2 used pure C and compiled natively (no VM).
>
> Quake 3 used pure C and compiled either to a byte code VM (via ICC) or
> to native (if you wanted to trust that).

Thanks for the correction. I thought you had mentioned that John had
changed the backend of a C compiler for QuakeC, but you may have been
talking about Q3. I haven't looked at QuakeC for a number of years now;
my addled brain doesn't remember the syntax that closely. I've been
fiddling with Q2, which is all in C as you mention.

Nick