On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 14:04, Maxime Petazzoni wrote:
> I think Lua should provide something quite similar to Python : a
> directory of libraries that are dynamicaly loaded with the Lua
> interpretor, and something similar to import for module loading in the
> Lua script.

Hi Maxime

Which OS are you using? I know that Debian has a luasocket package, and
I have built one for Mandrake. Using it, you can just

  require "socket"

there's no need to recompile Lua. Even if you don't use one of these
distributions, you could get the source RPM for example and build it
yourself. If you're interested, the URL is

http://andre.people.digirati.com.br/lua/rpm/luasocket/

The luasocket-2.0-1mdk.src.rpm has the source and the patches that need
to be applied (which I adapted from the Debian package).

> I don't know if it is possible, or even if it is part of the Lua
> improvements planned.

There was a thread some time ago about library packaging
standardization. I have added a page on the Wiki with pointers to the
guidelines:

http://lua-users.org/wiki/PackagingLuaLibraries

HTH,
Andre