> But out of curiosity I have to ask: how was Lua supported previously
> and has anything changed in this respect?

Nothing changed. Lua is supported in several ways. First, PUC-Rio pays
our salary and they recognize at least part of our work with Lua as
valuable to the institution (that means, it counts as work for them).
Second, we have some grants from projects related to Lua: This year,
we have a grant from CNPq (the "Brazilian NSF"), another from FINEP
(another Brazilian governmental funding agency), and another from
Microsoft Research (from the Rotor RFP v2). Third, there are revenues
from the book. There are also some non-monetary contributions, such
as from Soho One (that hosts our site) and Conectiva (that hosts
this list). And, of course, we also have invaluable non-monetary
contributions from users.

-- Roberto